My Pond

Thanks for stopping by! We created a pond in the summer of 2011, and this is our Pond Journey.

Sunday, June 2, 2013

fish health in the spring

As noted in my pond books, the fish struggle with poor health in the spring.  I added pond salt this year to help and kept a close eye on things, adding medicines as I spotted fin shredding and white spots.  In spite of these efforts, the large white koi would not heal and I had to remove her and put her down.  She was very unhealthy at the end of last winter as well.  By the time I made the decision to remove her this year she would barely move and was sort of beached in the shallowest part of the pond.  Only a couple other fish were afflicted and they quickly healed up. It seemed like the prettier the fish, the worse their health; none of the non-colored goldfish were affected at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment